Plumbers and drain tech people are encouraging you to get your plungers ready as they see a spike in calls the day after Thanksgiving a day they’ve dubbed “Brown Friday!” Roto-Rooter said it experiences a 50% increase in call volume the day after Thanksgiving compared to an average Friday. The company also said it has a 21% uptick in business over any other four-day weekend period. The company said Thanksgiving gatherings and meals can overload kitchen sinks, garbage disposals, toilets and main sewers.
Roto-Rooter issued the following tips to prevent drain trouble during Thanksgiving weekend:
- Never pour grease, turkey drippings or cooking oil down drains. They solidify in pipes like candle wax and choke drains.
- Don't put potato peels, poultry skins, bones, rice or pasta down the garbage disposal. Disposals can handle small quantities of scraps, but most food should go into the trash can or compost pile.
- Make sure the garbage disposal is running when you add food scraps.
- Don't flush wet wipes down toilets. Most won't dissolve and may clog drainpipes and sewers.
- Place plungers in guest bathrooms to save guests the embarrassment of asking for one. AMEN TO THAT ONE!!
- Spread out showers and laundry loads so pipes have time to drain.