Summery weather is here and along with the lovely long warm days comes something we don’t love so much about the season - mosquitoes. Sure, you can coat yourself in sticky chemicals to ward them off, but who wants to do that? So here are some plants that can help keep you mosquito-bite-free while you enjoy your fun in the summer sun.
- Lavender - We think it smells fantastic, but bugs? Not so much. Look for the lavandin variety, it has a high concentration of camphor that keeps the critters away.
- Lemon balm - It smells lemony, but it’s more appealing than citronella. And the plant has high levels of citronellal, a compound bugs don’t like.
- Basil - It’s not just for cooking anymore! Having a pot of basil around is great because the plant emits a strong scent and you don’t even have to crush the leaves.
- Catnip - Your kitty will love it, and you will too when you learn that mosquitoes hate catnip.
- Mint - You can make a mojito with it and it’s good for your skin, too. Mint leaves can keep mosquitoes away, but if you do get one, the essential oils in it can soothe the bites.
Source: Woman’s Day