The fourth of July is almost here and nothing says “happy birthday, America” like a drunken watermelon. For those who’ve never had the pleasure, we’ve got a step-by-step guide to help you create your own boozy fruit for the holiday.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A large watermelon
- A 16-ounce bottle of alcohol, usually vodka or tequila
- A large bowl
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- And a small spoon
And here’s what you do:
- Step one - Put your watermelon on the cutting board and carefully cut a circular hole at the top. Make sure it’s a little wide than the alcohol bottle opening.
- Step two - Get rid of the rind and dig into the hole with the spoon, scooping out four or five inches of watermelon. Enjoy as a treat for your hard work so far.
- Step three - Put the watermelon in a big bowl with the hole at the top.
- Step four - Insert the bottle right into the hole and let the alcohol pour into the watermelon. It might not all fit inside, so save what’s left.
- Step five - Stick the watermelon and the bowl in the fridge. Chill it for at least 24 hours to get the best flavor.
- Step six - When you’re ready to enjoy your buzzy adult fruit snack, just slice and nosh. And remember friends don’t let friends eat alcohol-infused watermelon and drive.