It’s almost sweater weather, the time of year when we get to be cozy and comfy, while still managing to be stylish. But sometimes, laundry mishaps lead to a favorite sweater shrinking down to a size that would fit a small child. Dryers can be so unkind! But you don’t have to toss that treasured chunky knit, you just need to follow these steps to unshrink a sweater.
- Step 1: Fill the sink with lukewarm water and add around a tablespoon of hair conditioner or baby shampoo.
- Step 2: Put your shrunken sweater in and let it soak for half an hour.
- Step 3: Drain the sink and gently squeeze the excess water out of the sweater, without rinsing or twisting it. You can lightly press it against the side of the sink to get the water out.
- Step 4: Lay a thick cotton towel on the floor and lay the sweater on top. Roll the towel, with the sweater inside, into a jelly roll shape to soak up the water.
- Step 5: While it’s still damp, stretch it back into its original size - but be VERY gentle. Let it air dry and that’s it. If it’s super shrunken, gently stretch it out every 30 minutes while it’s drying.
So why does this work? It’s the conditioner that softens and relaxes the fibers in the material so they’re flexible enough to re-shape. Just learn from your mistakes and don’t do laundry before you’ve had coffee or after too many glasses of wine.